Sunday, March 9, 2008

Getting Ready

Welcome to Adventures in Japan. We are getting ready for our trip which starts on April 1, 2008. Yes, I know it is April Fools, and I am hoping my buddy Murphy will take the day off so that all goes smoothly :)

We have begun the process of planning and preparation. I am such a boy scout - trying hard to think of everything, but winging it is really my gift, so I will be putting all my faith in God to keep us safe and for me to at least remember our passports!

I will be posting here as often as we have internet access. Some of the places we are going are quite remote - but have patience, those will be the best stories.

To those who stumble upon this page and don't know us - here is a brief introduction. (Please excuse the typos - I broke my index finger, so I am not tyoing well :P

I am Mom - aka Christine. I am a single mom homeschooling two amazing kids. We live in Midlothian, Virginia USA (just outside the state capital of Richmond). I work as a caregiver for a man here. His name is Ed and he is a dear firend. We will miss him, but are lucky to get to come back and still work for him. I also teach/tutor other homeschoolers, and work as a nanny. In my spare time, I volunteer as an EMT-E with Louisa County Rescue Squad in Louisa, VA and Manchester Volunteer Rescue Squad in Chesterfield, VA. I am going to REALLY miss all you guys!!! Send me the stroies of all the "good calls"!! I was a professional photographer BC (before children) and my wonderful sister has equipped me with a new camera for our journey. It is through that lens that I will share this new world we are about to discover.

Jeremy - age 10. Lego crazed robot loving, Wii playing every chance he gets, superstar. He is the true inspiration for not giving up on this dream of living in Japan. I will tell that story later. So this trip is for you baby!! He loves to read anything and everything. He loves to build things, archery, ride bikes, try new foods, explore, and help me find my way when I am lost. And that is all the time! I know I am the luckiest mom in the world!!

Ashley - age 8. Loves animals. All animals. If we had a kitten farm with horses, puppies, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc. she would be in heaven. We hope to discover the farm life in her honor. Hopefully at a goat farm taking care of the new babies, and a horse farm learning archery on horseback. We are also planning on swimming with the dolphins. Mostly, we are hoping to discover new animals, both in the sea and on land. Monkeys especially. She loves to ride bikes, explore, eat, and play with her stuffed animals. Love you baby!!

For all you frugal types and dreamers with doubts - I am going to post tips and ways to travel on a skinny dime. We are doing things a little diffewrent. We cannot afford hotels, and really do not want to travel as tourists. We want to LIVE Japan. We want to meet the people and share their lives and customs. We are really going to explore and make new friends. So for anyone who has any dream at all - do not wait - make it happen now. Believe is is already happening and it is!!

Special thanks to Grandma Sue and Grandpa Leonard for not telling us we are crazy - but believing in me to do anything. We are especially thankful for their generous gifts that are helping to make this dream come true. WE LOVE YOU!! And can't wait to see you Grandma.

And to my loving and incredibly supportive sister. You are the one person who has ALWAYS been there for me - always helping me through the rough times, always believing in me even when I didn't. You are so amazing. I couldn't do this without your words echoing in my head. Love you to death!!

OK - so here we go. Time to get ready.

4 comments:

William Bowser said...

I wish you so much luck, your kids are wonderful and I will miss you dearly. I have never had a friend as dear as you and as I have said before no matter where you are and what you are doing I will allways be there for you.... Bowser

MOM said...

You're pretty awsome, too! You can do it. I look forward to seeing you in Tokyo.
MOM

William Bowser said...

You want to consider getting some Doxysicline Rx's as well it is 1 pill per day and will prevent you from contracting melleria anytime (out of the many times) I was sent over seas especially asia and korea this was a manditory thing for us to take you can also get a drug (I forget the name) that can be taken once a week....

William Bowser said...

Chloroquine it is an inexpensive drug all you have to do is take it once a week and you will be good.