Monday, March 24, 2008

Trials and Triumphs

My buddy Murphy has discovered we are trying the impossible and is tagging along. I guess he couldn't miss out on the opportunity :) So yes - everything that could go wrong - almost - is. But I believe heartily that it will all work out in the end! God is with me on this one!

So to update those of you who have had the blessing of not hearing me rant on the phone, here is the story. It all started one day after a particularly long night on duty at the rescue squad. I was exhausted as I stumbled home watching twilight turn into morning. I slowly climbed the stairs, knowing I had exactly 100 minutes until my children returned home for our typical busy day. Just enough time to strip down and crawl into bed for a short nap. I didn't empty my pockets, and as I climbed out of my pants, I managed to step on the contents in my back pocket, seriously bending my credit/debit card. For those of you who do not know how I operate - that card is my life. I rarely use cash, and I never use credit - so without that little peice of plastic, I wander hoplessly in a fog of confusion...

So not to be distressed about it, I let myself fall into a peaceful slumber and dream my recurring dream about a tsunami hitting Japan. I woke up and called the bank asking for a replacement. They said it would cancel my existing card as a credit card, but they could have it rushed to my local branch in 3 days. Wonderful I thought. By the way, it expires in June (while we will be in Japan) - could you please have that date changed at the same time. Sure - no problem. And I went about the rest of my crazy day.

The card came in the mail. Oops - wrong expiration date. Order a new replacement. It comes three days later - getting nervous now as I am needing to put up deposits for lodging in Tokyo. Trying to be patient. (PS I am not good at that). Another card comes - wrong date again. So I call and have a lengthy conversation where they insist they will have it corrected and give me the new expiration date so I can make reservations (11/2009). Suddenly I am getting called that the card is invalid. So I wait and it arrives - the date was actually 2008. OK - so I frantically call several places in Japan in the middle of the night (daytime there) and try to sort it all out. Mostly trying to convince the other person in terribly broken Japanese that I am not a thief and that I can actually pay for what I say I can. Finally the day arrives that the new card comes, only due to all of the confusion and attempts at an invalid card, my account has now been blocked by Visa!

I have one week until I leave and the lovely woman who helped me arrange for a wonderful apartment in Tokyo now thinks I am part of a credit card fraud ring. OK - maybe not because I do talk to her everyday and insist my bank will send a letter of apology any day. (One of the best things about being a member of a Credit Union - they take good care of you). So I finally got the right card and the right expiration date, and have it unblocked!! I am now waiting for another business day to begin in Tokyo to see if the apartment company is willing to try one last time!!

But as this is sorted out...my laptop has decided to stop functioning. It is ok because it is still under warranty and I can simply ship it to HP and they will fix it. But it may not be back before Tuesday - our departure day - and they emphatically do NOT ship to Japan. However, they will be happy to leave it on my doorstep if I am not home. (For 3 months). I am now praying that it arrives before we depart.

I am certain though that whatever happens, it will all work out for the best. All these trials will turn into triumphs and make me appreciate the good all that much more. We must remember we would not know the power of love without hate. We could not see the mercy of forgiveness without blame. We would not know the true value of a friend without knowing lonliness. And we cannot know the amazing blessings in our lives without struggles.

Well - have to run again. Keep you updated soon!
God is an amazing God!!

No comments: